Yesterday, I installed a host of updates, including some of Office.
As it happens, I tried to add an ActiveX control to a worksheet and received an error.
After some research I discovered the cause of the error to be two-fold:
1. The controls were updated by the update
2. Excel did not clean up after itself properly and left some temporary files behind.
The solution is to:
– Quit Excel
– Open Explorer
– Select C: drive
– Search for *.exd
– Remove all files found.
Hope this helps other people who might be suffering from the same problem.
Jan Karel Pieterse
#####UPDATE Dec 22, 2014#####
Microsoft has published a so-called Fixit to make resolving this matter easier: