CodeColorer

On JP’s recommendation I’m trying CodeColorer for syntax highlighting.

Public Sub LoadFromFile()

Dim xmlDoc As MSXML2.DOMDocument
    Dim xmlNodes As MSXML2.IXMLDOMNodeList
    Dim xmlNode As MSXML2.IXMLDOMNode
    Dim i As Long
    Dim clsRandom As CRandom

Set xmlDoc = New MSXML2.DOMDocument
    xmlDoc.Load Environ(“USERPROFILE”) & “My DocumentsMy DropboxwcdkSampleData.xml”
    Set xmlNodes = xmlDoc.documentElement.selectNodes(“//SampleDatum”)

For i = 0 To xmlNodes.Length – 1
        Set xmlNode = xmlNodes.Item(i)
        Set clsRandom = New CRandom

clsRandom.RandType = xmlNode.selectSingleNode(“RandType”).nodeTypedValue
        clsRandom.Name = xmlNode.selectSingleNode(“Name”).nodeTypedValue
        clsRandom.Min = xmlNode.selectSingleNode(“Min”).nodeTypedValue
        clsRandom.Max = xmlNode.selectSingleNode(“Max”).nodeTypedValue
        clsRandom.Decimals = xmlNode.selectSingleNode(“Decimals”).nodeTypedValue
        clsRandom.Sequential = xmlNode.selectSingleNode(“Sequential”).nodeTypedValue
        clsRandom.Skip = xmlNode.selectSingleNode(“Skip”).nodeTypedValue
        Me.Add clsRandom

Next i

When I installed it, it said that there was a conflict with my existing highlighter. I was hoping that I wouldn’t have to disable the old one because it will make my existing code look ugly. I suppose I could do an update query on all the old posts. Sounds dangerous.

1. Well, the code looks good. How about in the comments?

Sub test()

Good morning, Dick -

Testing “not equals”

Function baseconv(InputN, BaseN)
    ‘http://support.microsoft.com/kb/135635
      Dim quotient, remainder As Single
       Dim Answer As String
       quotient = InputN   ‘ Set quotient to number to convert.
      remainder = InputN  ‘ Set remainder to number to convert.
      Answer = “”

Do While quotient <> 0   ‘ Loop while quotient is not zero.
         remainder = quotient Mod BaseN
          quotient = Int(quotient / BaseN)
          Answer = remainder & Answer
       Loop
       baseconv = Val(Answer)   ‘ Convert answer variable to a number.

…mrt

4. JP says:

Just get a search and replace plugin (i.e. http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/search-and-replace/) and replace “

” with the new opening tag in comments and posts. Replace “

” with the closing tag, and you should be set.

5. JP says:

Ugh, WordPress mangled my comment. But you get the idea: Replace the original opening code tag with the new one (in comments and posts), and replace the closing code tag with the new closing tag.

When I started my blog I tried a few code formatters, but I couldn’t find one that didn’t totally suck. I’ve reverted to using <pre> tags around code, and unless I specifically highlight a keyword or line of code by hand, it’s all monochromatic.

This CodeColorer thing looks pretty good.

7. Michael says:

Dick -

What is your VBE font? and what’s above?

I’ve run with Courier New so long, it may be time for a change ;-)

…mrt

8. Dick,

This look very good to me :)

We, who use WordPress’s blogspace, use another plug-in and it has row lines (see http://xldennis.wordpress.com/2009/10/17/install-and-activate-add-ins-in-excel-with-visual-installer/). But I would like to have this kind of coloring too.

Kind regards,
    Dennis

9. I really like that I can use code tags with this. Correct me if I’m wrong, but if I get rid of this plug in, all my code will revert to normal code tag formatting, which is better than plain text.

10. JP says:

You’re correct, Dick, see http://codex.wordpress.org/Writing_Code_in_Your_Posts

Although I couldn’t say what the ” lang=”vb” ” part would do.

11. Micheal: I like Courier New the best because it looks like the VBE, so I change the plugin to use it. It was Monaco/Lucida Console prior to that.

12. Michael says:

Dick -

Looks great! Don’t have to worry about blank lines, too! An added benny.

…mrt

13. JP says:

Dennis: CodeColorer can do line numbers as well.

14. Doug Jenkins says:

Dennis – where do you get the WordPress code plug-in? Does it handle the dreaded greter than and less than symbols and comment markers properly?

15. JP says:

Doug – you can’t use plugins with wordpress.com-hosted blogs.

16. mark nold says:

Dick,

Have a look at Prettify JS – http://code.google.com/p/google-code-prettify/

I’ve written a short blurb on getting it work with VB/VBA code – http://officeadd.in/code/prettify_js_-_syntax_highlighting.aspx

The main reason why I suggest is that it’s simple and Stackoverflow use it very successfully.

17. Doug,

I will let you know as soon as I have fully tested it.

Kind regards,
    Dennis

18. [...] Twitter, Dick Kusleika said that he’s using CodeColorer too, and it works well. I decided to test the plug-in here, before installing it on the Contextures [...]