Just a couple of weeks ago, all of a sudden Charles and I started receiving complaints about compile errors, which neither of us could reproduce. Because the version we had available back then used the treeview control from the Windows common controls library, we blamed that control. And indeed, removing the control from the form that housed it fixed the problem for some of our users. But not for all.
Since this kind of errors is extremely hard to troubleshoot, I thought it might be useful to share our experiences.
Luckily we found a user who was willing to help us trouble-shoot the matter. We asked him to do all sorts of things: try on a different client, try logging on as administrator, removing accounts from client, you name it.
After exchanging a host of emails and screenshots and trying all sorts of variations we discovered the culprit: problematic .EXD files in one of the system folders of the client computer (these are just an example, your system may show others too or even none at all):
These files are typically stored in this location:
C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Application Data\Microsoft\Forms
So far, removing these files from that folder has resolved the issue for the people that experienced trouble with Name Manager.
So, if you distribute an addin to other users and you get a complaint about compile errors in your work: start off by asking the user to weed out the Forms folder I showed above. If it doesn’t help, it certainly wont hurt!
Jan Karel Pieterse