Last month we discussed buying commercial add-ins. I haven’t actually installed any commercial add-ins yet, but that’s not really a surprise.
A lot of people have their own personal add-in (or personal.xls) with home-grown macros. I assumed that I had only one macro in my personal.xls because I really only use one. Well, I was wrong. I have quite a few little macros in there. Some I’ve started and never finished. Some I created, but have since forgot. Here’s the list:
- A user form where I paste a string into one textbox and it converts fancy double- and single-quotes to normal ones. Based on this
- An unfinished userform that would allow me apply borders to cells without using the mouse.
- Something in ThisWorkbook that looks like I thought I was pasting it into a standard module of a throw-away workbook. In other words, I don’t know what the heck it is, but I didn’t write it.
- A macro to Paste Special > Values.
- A macro to Autofill a data series.
- A macro to create a new window. I remember this one – it used to be useful to me.
- A macro to Toggle the Move After Enter option.
- A few procedures dealing with extending the selection.
- A macro to fix the VBE undocked window problem.
- And the one I actually use: Uploading pictures via ftp
The one I actually use is special. Every time I use it, I marvel at how convenient it is for me. I don’t upload images everyday, but it’s often enough that I should be taking that code for granted, and yet I don’t. It’s such a huge time saver for me, that even though it takes several seconds to run, I spend those several seconds appreciating the futuristic world in which I live. A world where manually uploading images via an ftp client is a distant memory.
Do you have any macros in your personal.xls that make you feel like that?