Process Trends had a nice post about charts today. I checked it out immediately because it’s a chart that I’ve always wanted to do. I’m woefully inadequate when it comes to charting, so I’ve never even tried it.
I added some progress bars to show actual progress against schedule.
I added a second series designated as ‘Actual’. The Leg column is the formula
=B4+0.075. That number needs to change if the chart is resized though. At least if you want the actual bars to be right next to the schedule bars.
The formula for Start is
=IF(G4=0,NA(),C4+G4). This produces an #NA! error for any leg that hasn’t started and #NA! errors don’t get plotted. The actual start point is the point that represents the progress to date. I wanted to use a minus error bar so the left end would have the vertical thingy, but the right end wouldn’t.
Ideally, I would like to use a ‘Both’ error bar if it’s complete and a minus error bar if not. It might actually look better if I eliminated the vertical thingies on the red bar altogether. If I did that, I could use the same start date as the projected and a plus error bar for the actual duration. The actual duration is a hard-coded number.
It’s not quite a replacement for MS Project. Yet.