Andrew of Andrew’s Excel Tips fame created a utility add-in that’s available for download. It’s a nice set of utilities and I particularly like the right-click menu option – my preferred way of doing most things that don’t have a keyboard shortcut. I do, however, have a few comments for the next version.
- The conversion functions need BeginGroup bars to break them up a little. I would suggest grouping by linear, area, weight, and temperature. It would be just a bit more visually pleasing.
- Some utilities that I would expect to produce errors don’t. For instance, if I want to hide the active sheet of a one sheet workbook, I would get an error that at least one sheet must be visible. With this utility, I get no error and nothing happens. I think it would be nice to tell the user why nothing happened.
- Under the Worksheet utilities, the Select to First Column and Select to Final Column do the same thing. I may be missing something here, or it may be a bug.
- Too many confirmation boxes. If I choose to delete all the comments on a sheet, I definitely want a confirmation box for that. But if I’m converting meters to yards or making some text proper case, I don’t want the extra click, just do the deed.
- The reminder message is a pretty cool feature. It wouldn’t be too difficult to let the user type in a custom message, so you may consider adding that feature.
All-in-all, I’m very impressed with the whole package. I’m not surprised, though, because Andrew does good work.
By the way, I concur that the name, Andrew’s Utilities, could use some work. But coming from a guy who calls his blog Daily Dose of Excel and has a domain named dicks-blog, I won’t be criticizing anybody for lack of creativity when it comes to names. Maybe you should name it Excelities or Utilexcels. How about Andrew’s Super Happy Excel Stuff? Then everyone will say “When is ASHES v.2 coming out”.